Sunday, January 24, 2010

Story Power

Working in a library, how can I not be enthralled by stories? The newest addition to my recent reads is a required text for class this semester, and a fascinating book. Story Proof, the science behind the startling power of story, is filled with information, research results, and anecdotal evidence of the strength of stories in learning and in interpersonal communication. At 128 pages, it isn't a lengthy book, but author Kendall Haven has packed every page with data. Consider...storytelling predates written communication by more than 90,000 years; stories and myths were created by all cultures, even those that did not develop codified laws; storytelling is effectively used in business to inspire and motivate employees; learning story structure has been tied to increased comprehension not only in reading, but in other disciplines as well. Intrigued? I was. And I am. I'll refer back to the data in this book often! This was a good way to start the semester, and a good start to my list of books for the adult reading program.

No comments:

Post a Comment