Monday, January 18, 2010

Reading overload

Yes, I am absolutely in book overload. With nine required texts, and several as recommended reading, I am swimming in books. I did manage to read more non-school books, which I've listed in my recent reads.

Most of my recent reading has been fun and interesting. However, Tortilla Curtain, by Boyle, was just painful. It was my second time to read this book. Knowing how the stories turn out made for a difficult journey, although I still find it to be a good book for sparking conversation and thinking about social issues. I re-read it so I could participate in the book club at PPLD, and found I didn't have as clear a memory as I thought about the book. Interestingly, the book contains two interwoven stories, of two men and their families. Some readers connect more with one story, other readers with the other. That in itself makes for interesting conversation in a book group.

One week into the adult reading program at the library, and I'm on track to earn the candy bar and Cozy Cat mug. I managed to finish one book this week. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment